Thornbury Running Club’s Oldbury 10 miler was held on Sunday 01st September 2019.
Results can be found at Full On Sport – here
Many thanks to all those who supported the event by taking part, marshaling and cheering!
We have staged it 2 weeks before the Bristol half marathon to give you an ideal pre-half training run and please be aware the race has sold out for the last 2 years.
The accurately measured course is on a quiet figure of 8 course on the outskirts of Thornbury where you will be well looked after by Thornbury Running Club’s friendly and encouraging marshals.
The course is 2-mile clockwise loop, then a 6-mile anti-clockwise loop, plus 1 mile out and back, along quiet country lanes just a few miles from Thornbury.
or GMap version (mileage is not exact)
Race HQ is at Oldbury Power Station (BS35 1RQ).
We have been given permission for onsite parking in the large on-site car park. Special instructions will be issued closer to event time, but should there be any safety issues we will revert back to the field.
- Entries will be available through Full on Sport website only.
- There are 500 places available and it is very likely the event will sell out quickly, so we do not envisage entries on the day.
- Race Start is at Oldbury Power Station.
- Race numbers with attached chips will be issued on the day from Race HQ.
- Registration will be from 09.00 with the Race starting at 10.30
- We are waiting to hear if we are hosting the Avon Championship again this year
- Transfers are allowed until the 26th August and are to be handled by the individual using the Full-on Sport page.
- Anyone found running under a different name will be disqualified.
- There is no waiting list.
- Minimum Age 17 Years.
- Please bear in mind you are running on open roads and we reserve the right to Disqualify you if wearing head phone (s)
We had our 1st wheel chair athlete last year and although the course is pitted around mile 6-7 we will do our utmost to clear debris the day before. So if you are a wheelchair athlete please enter but let us know before the date.
- Team and individual prizes in all major categories.
- The race will be run under ARC Rules & UK Athletics(Permits applied for).
- Check the Thornbury running club web site or Facebook for more instructions and any updates before race day
Important information regarding race day: –
- Start /Finish is at the Power station but most of the road is on the public highway, please follow marshals’ instructions at all times
- Baggage desk and changing facilities will be available at the Power Station
- The club accept no responsibility for missing/damage to items within bags.
- There will be plenty of water available on the course and at the HQ.
- There will be a sweep runner to make sure no one is left behind.
- There will be parking available but please car share where possible.
- No showers available
There is a corresponding Facebook event on our page here, which is the best place to check for updates and messages about the event.
2018 results can be found here.
2017 results can be found here.
The race may help you with your race goals:
1. Course records
Men – 50min.19sec Michael Johnson, Cardiff AC (2010)
Women – 57min.09sec Kim Fawke, Telford AC (2008)
2. New PB
OPS10 is a fast, flat course, and 10 miles isn’t a distance that’s run that often. ‘Fast and flat’ are the perfect ingredients for you to set a new PB – or if you haven’t tried the distance or this race before, to set one up for next year.
OPS10 is also a great warm-up/sharpener for the Great South Run (also 10 miles) or even perhaps the Bristol Half Marathon usually soon after the OPS10..
3. Race Licences
This year your performance will count towards your UK ranking if you are affiliated to UKA. The race will have a UKA licence number TBC.
The race also has an ARC Race permit, and will be run subject to ARC rules