2021 Thornbury 10k
The extension to COVID restrictions made organising the planned July 2021 Thornbury 10k unworkable. Sadly, the event is not going to happen this year.
About the Thornbury 10k
The Thornbury 10k is a relaxed, and for those who want it, a very competitive road race over the ever-popular 10k distance with gun to chip timing.
The accurately measured course is on quiet undulating country lanes on the outskirts of Thornbury where you will be well looked after by Thornbury Running Club’s friendly and encouraging marshals.
Minimum Age 15 Years. Registration will be from 18.30 with the Race starting at 19:30.
Race HQ is at Thornbury Rugby Club on Newton Hill, Rockhampton, BS35 1LG.
- There will be 400 places available but it is very likely the event will sell out quickly so we do not envisage entries on the day.
- Gun to chip timing.
- Team and individual prizes in all major categories.
- The race will be run under ARC Rules (Permit applied for).
- Race numbers with attached chips will be issued on the day.
- Check the Thornbury running club web site or Facebook for more instructions and any updates before race day
Important information regarding race day:-
- Start is 10 min walk/5 minute jog from the rugby club, please listen out for instructions from the marshals.
- We would like to keep the road clear for traffic as long as possible so we would ask everyone to walk down to the start at 7.15pm. Please stay on the right hand side to allow traffic to flow as normal. Please do not line up across the width of the road until instructed to do so
- Baggage desk and showers will be available at the Rugby Club
- The club accept no responsibility for missing/damage to items within bags.
- There will be plenty of water available on the course and at the HQ.
- There will be a sweep runner to make sure no one is left behind.
- There will be parking available but please car share where possible.
- Click here for the route.
- Don’t forget that the roads aren’t closed to traffic so be aware of your surroundings at all times. Not all drivers are as patient or courteous as we’d like, but we also have a responsibility to keep to the right hand side of the road (facing oncoming traffic) unless otherwise instructed by a marshal.
- The course is generally very quiet but please be aware that there is a particularly tight right hand turn at the top of Moorslade lane on to the A38, please be aware that traffic moves along the A38 as considerable speed so please stay single file for this section until you turn right again onto Sundays hill lane
- There will be plenty of marshals on the course followed by a sweeper vehicle, if you get into difficulty please contact your nearest marshal or wait for the car. As always, please take care of your fellow runners and offer assistance if you can.
- If you retire from the race please make sure that race officials are aware, we don’t want to have to send out search parties!!
- One final point, I am sure you all know this by now but as the roads are not closed to traffic the use of head phones is not permitted. You will need to able to receive instructions from race officials and listen out for traffic
- We have a number of prizes as usual this year:-
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd place for both the Men and the Ladies, plus age group prizes and course record prizes, so stick around for the prize giving at 9pm and enjoy maybe a drink in the bar.
- No team entries but a prize will be offered to the 1st 4 men home from the same club and the 1st 3 ladies from the same club with the lowest cumulative time.
For 2015 a course record prize was offered, but no records were broken. So we are offering the prizes again this year, and chip timing.
The course record for men is 30.59, set in 1991 by Maurice Cowman of Westbury Harriers.
The women’s record (by Marion Sutton of Westbury Harriers) is 36mins 00secs and has stood since 2002.
It’s about time that these records were broken, so, to encourage that, Thornbury Running Club is pleased to announce that anyone breaking the course record (male and female) will be presented with:
A cheque for £100!
For those taking it a little easier, or trying the distance for the first time……
- There is no cut-off time for the race (though we’d hope to get everyone through in an hour and a half or the bar will be shut!)
- There will be at least half a dozen Thornbury Running Club members running (or occasionally walking!) with you to help and encourage you, and some pacemakers too.
In 2015, Thornbury Running Club introduced prestigious trophies for which teams may compete.
Teams may comprise of work colleagues; sports clubs (kick-starting pre-season training for all footballers, rugby players etc.?); other running clubs…or just a group of friends who want to run together.
Trophies will be awarded to the first all-male and all-female teams (though mixed teams may still enter).
A team may consist of up to five individuals, with three counting towards the Team Championship. Lowest score wins!
Teams can apply online, entering five names. Where 5 runners form a team one runner can enter free of charge.
Water will be available after the finish thanks to
A big thank you to Up and Running, Westbury Park, Bristol branch, who are sponsoring this race, providing race numbers and support.
PREVIOUS YEARS RESULTS:
- Women 36:00 – Marion Sutton of Westbury Harriers (2002)
- Men 30:59 – Maurice Cowman of Westbury Harriers (1991)
Thursday 11th July 2019 – RESULTS CAN BE FOUND HERE