Following a committee meeting discussion, we are changing how we organise our teams for cross country races. The following now apply to the 2017-2018 season …..
- You have new cross country team managers ! Jim Godden will be the men’s team manager and Jo Plumbley the women’s team manager.
- We will be focussing on the Gloucester League, which comprises of a total of 5 events, including the Gloucester Champs. It will still be possible to enter the Gwent League events, but this will be organised more on an individual basis. We hope that this will allow members to commit their valuable time to mainly one league, making sure we have a full team at each Glos event.
- We need at least 6 men and 6 women at EVERY Glos League event to count as a team. There are also age category competitions at each event, together with overall best 3 events entered in the year.
- The club will pay for all entries to both Gloucestershire and Gwent league events, though for Gloucester League you will have to pay your own entry and then get refunded on the day (we can’t enter directly as one team).
- The TRC XC competition will now be based on the best 4 scores regardless of the league. There are two competitions for both men and women, overall best scores and age graded scores. Look on the website for details of last years competition.
I do hope YOU are willing to support this new club approach. Many people have said that the Gwent League is too far away, so now you have no excuse ! It is worth noting that if you haven’t competed in a cross country before, the Glos League is very low key yet competitive. Distances are around 6k for women and 10k for men, and start times normally in the afternoon. Terrain is fairly easy – the Old Down course is fairly typical – a few hills, bit of mud and grass etc. Please note that if you worried about your ability – DON’T BE ! To give you an idea of the ability range of people who enter, last years Blackbridge men’s event was won in 28:33 and the final man came in at 51:39, with 226 runners entered.
So, to the all important dates :
Sat Oct 14th Gloucester (Blackbridge)
Sat Nov 4th Malmesbury (Charlton Park)
Sun Dec 10th Wotton Under Edge
Sat Jan 6th Glos Champs at Old Down Country Park
Sat Feb 17th Cheltenham
(The dates and venues after Gloucester are provisional at present)
For details, click here
I will update you with travel details, start times etc. when they are made available, but in the meantime, PLEASE think about whether you can run for YOUR club at these events. It would be great if we can make it a real TRC event and in the process, rise up the league tables.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact either myself or Jo.
I look forward to seeing you on the 14th.